Alertes récentes - le 30 avril 2021
*new* April 30, 2021 - Two Guys and a Truck operating in Edmonton, AB is falsely using the image of a TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® truck in their promotion. Two Guys and a Truck is not the same company as TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® which is a reputable CAM member. Always verify your prospective mover's credentials and affiliation.
*new* April 27, 2021 - Winnipeg Free Press: New scam creates nightmares. CAM is seeing increased reports of illegitimate moving companies with shady practices. On national moving month this May, they and the Better Business Bureau want to help consumers stay safe as we kick off the busiest moving season of the year. One common scam involves companies low-balling customers with a price, only to jack it up once the customer’s belongings are already loaded.
April 9, 2021 - CAM Member Target of Fake Google Reviews: Nibia Movers, a reputable CAM member located in Calgary, AB, is being victimized by fake google reviews. Always check with the BBB and CAM to get accurate reputation information and to verify the credentials of your mover before hiring them.
March 26, 2021 - Identity Fraud: A local organization in the Bradford, ON area is representing themselves as Bradford Moving & Storage which is a reputable CAM member. Always verify the credentials of your mover before hiring them.
March 8, 2021 - CBC News: Sudbury police investigating complaint about alleged scam involving movers. The Canadian Association of Movers says the pandemic has created an opening for disreputable moving companies to profit and the Sudbury police say they are investigating a complaint of a moving company allegedly holding a customer's shipment hostage for higher payments than estimated.
March 4, 2021 - The Sudbury Star: Sudbury police warn of moving company scams. "Whether you are moving across town or across province, choosing a mover should not be taken lightly, police said. Finding a trusted and reliable mover is even more important, however, during the current COVID-19 pandemic."
January 11, 2021 - Listowel Banner: "Fraudulent moving company rips woman off for $500, leaves her stranded in Listowel". This consumer got scammed for $500 by Triple Star Movers Inc. and had to sleep in her pickup truck while keeping an eye on all her belongings at the side of the road.
January 4, 2021 - CBC Nova Scotia: "These customers were promised shipping containers. Now they're out thousands of dollars". The two companies identified in the article are Box Containers LLC and BigMax Containers.
November 26, 2020 - Global News: Alberta woman demands compensation for damages following lengthy and stressful move. An Airdrie, Alta., woman is demanding compensation for various items she said were damaged during a lengthy and stressful move earlier this month.
UPDATE - CAM has received several complaints about Move Me Again / Roadway Movers and Moonstar Van Lines / Greenway Moving. We have also received reports from consumers that the company OH CANADA is in operation since October 2020 and is connected to Move Me Again. Consumers have complained to us about OH CANADA similar to those of the above-mentioned operations.
December 4, 2020 - Global News: "Ontario family who relocated to New Brunswick warns others about moving company concerns" A couple who recently moved to Moncton is speaking out after being saddled with a $15,000 bill. The couple says initial estimates were for less than half of that, and now they want to warn others. They hired Greenway Moving and Storage Inc.
November 27, 2020 update - Ottawa Citizen "After five weeks, Gatineau woman will finally get her belongings back" A court has issued an interim order to the company, Move Me Again Transportation, to return the victims belongings. As Nancy Irvine, president of the Canadian Association of Movers says, “an unsuspecting customer can be extorted for thousands of dollars more than the original quote, have their things hidden with no recourse but to pay the ransom fee.”
November 27, 2020 - Ottawa Citizen: Adam: Consumers, be careful – a few unreliable moving companies could pull the rug out from under you. Beware what company you hire next time you are contemplating a move. Often, what you see at first glance is not what you get.
November 19, 2020 - Ottawa Citizen: Adam: 'I really feel like I am being held hostage.' Woman says she can't get her belongings back from moving company. The tactic is simple: a company gives a customer a low, attractive quote, but when the movers show up, they raise the fee dramatically, demand payment or seize the furniture. “We have dozens and dozens of complaints about this outfit and their shameful business practices,” CAM president Nancy Irvine said in an email."
October 27, 2020 - The CBC issued this story out of Hamilton: Hamilton woman is in 'pure shock' after $3,600 moving bill. The Better Business Bureau say they have 'lots of concerns' about Moonstar Van Lines. "I can confirm that Moonstar, Move Me Again, and Greenway Moving are not Canadian Association of Movers members, and never will be, as they are the antithesis of what a Certified Professional Mover should be," says CAM president Nancy Irvine.
September 11, 2020 - The Better Business Bureau (BBB) warns that consumers have complained that Move Me Again substantially increased costs from initial quotes that led them to enter into a contract. According to the BBB:
- "BBB files indicate a pattern of complaints concerning billing increases, delayed deliveries and customer service issues. Consumers have advised our office that the cost of their move increased substantially from the initial quotes that lead them to enter into a contract. When consumers request an explanation or reduction, they are advised that their items will not be delivered until full payment is remitted. Additionally, consumers have also advised that their items are not delivered on time, and the company does not compensate or advise when their belongings will be returned. On May 5th 2020, BBB sent a letter to notify the business of its concerns and requested that they work towards correcting the underlying reason for the complaints."
- "Move Me Again advised BBB that consumers were not comprehensively reviewing the terms and conditions of their moving contracts and correspondences with Move Me Again and this has caused the pattern of complaints, claiming no wrongdoing on their part. However, when BBB requested to review the contracts and emails that Move Me Again sends to their consumers we did not receive a response. Subsequent follow ups have been unsuccessful."
There have been newspaper articles about various situations this summer involving Move Me Again. Consumers have been using words to describe their relationship with this company as 'extortion':
- The Guardian (PE) "P.E.I. residents complain about hiked costs of moving company" P.E.I. residents spoke to The Guardian about bad experiences they've had with Move Me Again Transportation.
- Here's a secondary story on the situation: "Charlottetown woman chasing moving company for possessions, money" (September 9, 2020).
August 7, 2020 - CAM has received many complaints about Moonstar Vanlines aka Greenway Moving regarding unethical business practices.
Regarding Greenway, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) is investigating:
- "BBB files indicate a pattern of complaints concerning billing increases, delayed deliveries and customer service issues. Consumers have advised our office that the cost of their move increased substantially from the initial quotes that lead them to enter into a contract. When consumers request an explanation or reduction, they are advised that their items will not be delivered until full payment is remitted. Additionally, consumers have also advised that their items are not delivered on time, and the company does not compensate or advise when their belongings will be returned. On August 6th 2020, BBB sent a letter to notify the business of its concerns and requested that they work towards correcting the underlying reason for the complaints. BBB did not receive a response."
There's been media coverage on these companies:
- August 7, 2020 - Global News "Go through all the last minute documentation" Toronto couple warn" Toronto couple's possessions get held hostage as they get scammed with a bill that was 605% over the estimated contract.
Vérifiez les références d’un déménageur
L’ACD exhorte fortement les consommateurs à faire preuve de diligence raisonnable avant d'embaucher un déménageur, tout comme ils le feraient avant d’acquérir tout autre service important. Ce n'est pas comme si vous alliez simplement acheter une paire de chaussures. Vous allez confier tous les biens personnels de votre vie à quelqu'un que vous ne connaissez probablement pas.
Pour éviter les problèmes de déménagement, l'ACD vous recommande de contacter le Better Business Bureau de votre localité (ou l’Office de protection du consommateur au Québec) ou de consulter le répertoire des membres de l'Association canadienne des déménageurs pour confirmer que votre déménageur est une entreprise de confiance et fiable.
Vous pouvez également consulter la liste de mise en garde des consommateurs du gouvernement de l'Ontario: Le ministère des Services gouvernementaux et des Services aux consommateurs.
Utilisation frauduleuse du logo de l’ACD et/ou relation d’affaires sous-entendue avec l’ACD
Les entreprises suivantes ont sous-entendu une relation d’affaires avec l'Association canadienne des déménageurs, soit en affichant le logo CAM/ACD sur leurs sites Web, soit en suggérant qu'elles sont membres de l’ACD ou certifiées par l’ACD. Ces entreprises NE SONT PAS membres de l’ACD et nous vous recommandons de vérifier attentivement les plaintes et réclamations dont elles ont pu faire l’objet.
- En anglais seulement
- * new * EBL Déménagement (Mirabel, QC)
- A number of companies in the Montreal area are fraudulently displaying the CAM logo on their websites and are NOT CAM members. Here are 2 of them: Montreal Movers Group and West Island Movers. Always verify the mover's credentials before hiring them.
- Niagara Moving & Storage Inc. (Niagara Falls, Ontario)
- Ali Movers (Toronto, ON)
Détournements de marque
Les entreprises opérant de façon frauduleuse utilisent souvent des noms de marque réputés dans leurs affichages et annonces en ligne. Les consommateurs sont ainsi amenés à croire qu'ils ont embauché une entreprise de déménagement professionnelle, mais c’est une autre entreprise qui se présente le jour du déménagement, au moment où le consommateur n'a pas d'autre choix que de procéder au déménagement. L'expérience se termine généralement par la prise en otage des biens du consommateur afin d’en exiger plus d'argent, des retards de livraison et des pertes ou dommages aux biens personnels auxquels vous tenez tant.
Vérifiez toujours les affiliations déclarées d'un déménageur avant de procéder à son embauche.
Pour le moment, les alertes aux consommateurs sont en uniquement en anglais.
Read CAM's press release Canadian Association of Movers Warns Public about Brand Hijackings (PDF 24Jan2017). Here's an article out of the United States about this same problem (January 12, 2018).
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is a professional moving and storage company operating in Canada from Alberta to Nova Scotia with the exception of the province of Quebec. They are members in good standing with CAM. There are organizations that are piggy-backing on the solid reputation of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. Always verify the credentials of your mover before hiring them.
- CAM has been advised by a number or unsuspecting consumers that they inadvertently contracted with TWO MEN AND A MOVING TRUCK due to the similarity in names. This company is not associated with TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® nor are they a member of the Canadian Association of Movers.
- Two Men Trucks Moving Company – Toronto, ON is not TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® which is a reputable CAM member. Please see the attached PDF.
- The images and logos of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® and other companies in the Halifax area have been hijacked by Smart Moves (aka Smart Movers & Packers) in their ads on Kijiji. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is a reputable CAM member and has no relationship with this other company.
- A local organization in the Hamilton/Halton, ON area is representing themselves as TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® which is a reputable CAM member. Always verify the credentials of your mover before hiring them.
- An organization operating in the Toronto area is using the name of the reputable mover TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. The company in this ad is NOT CAM member TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®.
- Another organization operating in the Toronto area is using an adaptation of the name of the reputable mover TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. The company in this image is NOT CAM member TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®.
Phillips Family Moving & Delivery (Deer Park, NY) is NOT a CAM member. However, they are using an old logo of CAM member Phillips Moving & Storage (Toronto, ON), as well as falsely displaying affiliation with North American Van Lines. Phillips Moving & Storage (Toronto, ON) is a reputable and professional company and a long-standing CAM member. Always verify the credentials of your mover before hiring them.
Universal Moving & Storage Inc. of 506 Turnbridge Road in Mississauga ON L5B 3M3 has been providing fraudulent insurance paperwork to their clients stating that they are currently insured by McLean Hallmark Insurance Group Ltd. (now known as NFP Canada). NFP Canada confirms that Universal Moving & Storage is NOT insured by them. Consumers are urged to carefully check this company’s claims.