Movers and consumers often need the services of an international mover to enable a move between Canada and a location outside of North America.
CAM also offers a resource library on international moving – such as links to various international associations, customs requirements, etc.
If you are moving to an overseas country, we highly recommend that you refer to IAM's Country Guides. IAM’s Country Guides provide customs information for more than 170 countries and territories around the world. Detailing the documents needed for duty-free import and the specific policies of a country/territory, these comprehensive guides help ensure that customs processes go as smoothly as possible for both the mover and the moving customer.
*new* International Shipping
Competition is high and box rates are soaring! CAM is hearing that the upcharge on containers is now about $7,000 … compared to the pre-pandemic cost of about $2,000. There is speculation that shippers could be looking at rates up to $20,000 before the end of 2021. Vessels originating in Asia are dropping containers in the US and are returning to Asia empty – because they make more money getting back quicker for the next load that they do waiting for the ship to be loaded. With the severe shortage of containers and capacity and waiting time increasing to 10-20 days, there seems to be no limit as to what companies will be paying to secure a box. Here are articles about this evolving situation.
- July 8, 2021 - FMC onboard for Biden's ocean carrier 'crackdown'
- July 7, 2021 - Warning to shippers: expect high freight rates and disruption to last a while
- July 2, 2021 - As box rates leave some shippers ‘very badly hurt’, others see an opportunity
- June 29, 2021 - ‘Crazy rates’ to ship a container out of India – after a 100% premium to get the box
International Movers’ Resource Library
CAM members are invited to use and contribute to its new international movers resource library.
- CAM’s international code of ethics
- CAM’s international operating standards (pdf for CAM members)
- CAM’s international moving terms
Overseas Training Manual for Administrative Staff (pdf, members only)
- To prevent the spread of the Spotted Lanternfly, truck permits and training are required if you travel in PA or NJ. Effective May 1, 2020 the Pennsylvania State Police and Department of Agriculture will begin hard enforcement with roadside stops and penalties issued for non-compliance. (2020) NEW
- The Atlas International Passport to Relocation (pdf) Atlas Van Lines International Corp. (2014)
- Bankrate: Working abroad: How to prepare your finances (February 2019)
- CIA World Fact Book
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES): controls movement of animal and plant species that are, or may be, threatened due to excessive commercial exploitation
- Expat Exchange
- IAM Country Guides UPDATED
- List of Holidays by Country
- OMNI Country Guides
- United Arab Emirates: What’s the best way to ship your belongings when leaving the UAE? (November 11, 2019)
- Voltage Valet
- World Exchange Rates
International Moving Associations
- American Trucking Association - Moving & Storage Conference (ATAMSC)
- Asian Relocation Association (ARA)
- Australian Furniture Removers Association (AFRA)
- British Association of Removers (BAR)
- Fédération Internationale des Associations de Transitaires et Assimilés (FIATA) – International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations (FIATA)
- Fédération Internationale des Déménageurs Internationaux (FIDI)
- International Association of Movers (IAM)
- Overseas Moving Network International (OMNI)
- Pan American International Movers Association (PAIMA)
- Imports of HHGPE etc into Australia (BMSB measures) (Australian International Movers Association Ltd., September 5, 2019)
- Australian Customs Service
- Australian Customs - importing goods
- Australian Customs - prohibited goods
- Australian Pet Requirements
- Australian Quarantine Service
- Brazil: wooden items entering the country (2017) (pdf)
- Canadian Border Services Agency
- European Union Customs Information
- India Customs Information
- Lebanese Customs Information (provided by Domex) (2020)
- New Zealand Customs Information
- Importing Woodenware into New Zealand (2017)
- Singapore Customs Home Page
- United Kingdom HM Customs and Excise
- U.S. Customs & Border Patrol
- U.S. Customs - Power of Attorney Form
- No mandatory 14-day quarantine for Pets arrival to Vietnam (provided by LogicalMoves-Vietnam) (2020)
Find out if you need a visa to enter Canada as a visitor.
- Better Business Bureaus of Canada
- Canada Customs (CBSA) - Electronic House Bills (April 2021)
The electronic house bills (eHBL) system was intended to streamline the process by allowing pre-arrival information documents to be transmitted electronically. There are currently two options available:
- Filing online via the CBSA eManifest portal
- Using an approved (paid) third-party service provider (such as Crimsonlogic) to file
Crimsonlogic provided CAM with two videos that may be of assistance in understanding what to do. CAM is considering hosting a webinar on the eHBL if there is a need. If you are interested in someone from your office attending a session on it, please advise us at admin[at]mover.net.
- Canada Customs (CBSA) – Customs broker professional examination
- Canada Border Services Agency – information for Canadian citizens and permanent residents on the CBSA’s border services
- Canada Customs (CBSA) – frequently asked questions for moves to Canada
- Canada Customs (CBSA) – import information for automobiles
- Canada Customs (CBSA) – import information for returning citizens
- Canada Customs (CBSA) – import information for settlers
- Canada Customs (CBSA) – licensing of Customs brokers
- Canada Customs (CBSA) – list of brokers licensed by the CBSA
- Canadian Border Services Agency
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Transport Canada
Send CAM an email at members[at]mover.net with your suggestions and contributions of content.
The links and resources supplied herein are provided as a courtesy to readers. These links were verified at the time of publishing to this web site, and can change without notice or obligation. We are not liable for any costs, damages, delays, duties, taxes or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance, errors or omissions. Any copyright infringement or intellectual property rights violation is done so without intent or malice.