Latest Update: Mar 9 2021 - From time to time, moving horror stories hit the news. CAM posts these media stories to help educate consumers about the pitfalls and extreme tactics that the rogue element will use against uninformed consumers. It doesn't matter if it's in the USA or Canada, they scheme the same.
It truly is your responsibility to know who's moving you and all of your worldly possessions.
Here's a few of the more recent stories.
- *new* - CBC News - Sudbury police investigating complaint about alleged scam involving movers. (March 8, 2021)
- *new* - The Sudbury Star: Sudbury police warn of moving company scams. "Whether you are moving across town or across province, choosing a mover should not be taken lightly, police said. Finding a trusted and reliable mover is even more important, however, during the current COVID-19 pandemic." (March 4, 2021)
- Listowel Banner: Fraudulent moving company rips woman off for $500, leaves her stranded in Listowel. This consumer got scammed for $500 by Triple Star Movers Inc. and had to sleep in her pickup truck while keeping an eye on all her belongings at the side of the road. (January 11, 2021)
- CBC Nova Scotia: These customers were promised shipping containers. Now they're out thousands of dollars. The two companies identified in the article are Box Containers LLC and BigMax Containers. (January 4, 2021)
- Global News - "Ontario family who relocated to New Brunswick warns others about moving company concerns" (Dec 4, 2020)
- Ottawa Citizen - "Five weeks later Gatineau woman will finally get her belongings back" (Nov 27, 2020)
- Ottawa Citizen - "Consumers be careful - a few unreliable moving companies will pull the rug out from under you" (Nov 26, 2020)
- Global TV Calgary - "Airdrie homeowner fights for compensation after she says items were damaged in move" (Nov 26, 2020)
- Ottawa Citizen - "I feel like I am being held hostage" (November 19 2020)
- CBC Hamilton - Hamilton woman is in 'pure shock' after $3,600 moving bill. (October 27, 2020)
- The Guardian - "P.E.I. residents complain about hiked costs of moving company" (September 11, 2020)
- The Guardian - Charlottetown woman chasing moving company for possessions, money (September 9, 2020)
- Global News - "Go through all the last minute documentation" Toronto couple warn" (August 7, 2020)
- WMAR-2 Baltimore - The first of 12 people charged in a nationwide moving scam in July of 2018 has pleaded guilty. The movers were accused of defrauding, extorting, and stealing from around 900 customers. Read more: Man pleads guilty to role in nationwide moving scam. (January 27, 2020)
- The CBC News (Nova Scotia) issued a story about Big Boys Movers/Halifax Movers (NOT Big Boy Movers in St. John's, NL) and how the Movers deliver only half of family's belongings — and dump the rest. Here's the radio segment. Consumers need to validate their movers before hiring them. (June 6, 2019).
- How to avoid fly-by-night moving companies. (April 30, 2019).
If you are still not convinced that you need to research your mover, then read more.